Senior Ruby Developer
Currently existing as fledgling Ruby on Rails services, the immediate role requires a confident self-starter to bring the services’ development fully in-house. You’ll be first in the door alongside a dedicated software tester, and we’d expect you to hit the ground running with feature development, bug fixing and leading the way on RoR best practice in everything from deployments to infrastructure.
You won’t be completely on your own however – you’ll be able to make use of our extended experience in software development (you’ll share a space with a team of 11 PHP developers, Testers and System Administrators), and specifically you’ll have the full support of our systems administrator and you will report to head of technology.
This is a great opportunity to get involved from the outset in a company with a proven track record of bringing successful products to market, and while we’ll provide the successful candidate with the processes and tools to get started, your autonomy will be encouraged.
- Good knowledge of development using Ruby and RoR at a mid-senior level (3+ years)
- Good knowledge of development using JS/React/CSS at a mid-senior level (3+ years)
- Good understanding of design patterns and OOP concepts
- Good knowledge of building and extending REST APIs returning data in JSON
- Good knowledge of SQL database design
- Knowledge of source control with Git, especially branching/merging as needed
- Familiar with Atlassian products – JIRA
- Familiarity with agile techniques
- Experience with TDD and unit tests
Technical Skills – Nice to have
- Experience of RoR deployments and Capistrano
- Experience of Ubuntu/CentOS server maintenance specifically for Ruby/RoR (sysadmin support is available)
- Excellent communication skills
- Stakeholder management
- Ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical people
- Able to identify and acknowledge potential shortcomings with your own skills
- Comfortable asking for assistance and knowing to where to seek help
- Showing an enthusiasm for developing new skills in yourself and others
- Contributing to a fair, respectful and friendly environment
How to apply
To apply for this role, please send your CV in an email detailing why you would like to be considered for this position.
View our latest open positions.